Apartment 4B is Penny's apartment and the secondary setting for the Big Bang Theory. It is located on the fourth floor of the Building at 2311 N. Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, California. When viewed from the satellite photographs in The Countdown Reflection episode it appears to be located at 215 S Madison Ave. It is most well known as being located directly across the hallway from Apartment 4A, which is the apartment that Sheldon and Leonard live in.
4B is a smaller apartment than its counterpart across the hall, having only a single bedroom instead of two; however, like its counterpart across the hall, it has an open floor plan where the living room and the kitchen are part of the same room. Also like 4A, the apartment is entered into the living room through the hallway. The right wall has a single door that leads into Penny's bedroom. Continuing along the wall is a large window with her kitchen table by it. The bathroom in the apartment is located through her bedroom, and is the only way to access the bathroom.
The wall on the left immediately after you enter the apartment is not visible, as it is the view into the apartment when episodes are being filmed. The wall houses Penny's TV and entertainment center, and ends at the kitchen area.
In Penny's kitchen, there is an island with chairs as well as a small window over the sink.
Apartment 4B is first seen in the pilot, upon meeting Penny, who is the newest tenant in the building. We also find out that the former occupant of 4B was "a 200 pound transvestite with a skin condition". This former occupant's name was revealed as Louie/Louise in the following episode called The Big Bran Hypothesis. The Big Bran Hypothesis also gives us the first view inside the apartment, in which Sheldon and Leonard help move in a media set while Penny is at work. Sheldon describes Louie/Louise as being cleaner than Penny, having helped him run cable for a web-cam while he lived there.
Note: When Leonard first sees Penny through the doorway in the Pilot, the kitchen should be visible, but is not. Only the coffee table that is still in front of her couch can be seen in her apartment set.
Penny's unit is featured in:
- [S01E02] The Big Bran Hypothesis - Sheldon cleans her apartment
- [S01E08] The Grasshopper Experiment - Penny mixes drinks
- [S01E16] The Peanut Reaction - Preparing for Leonard's birthday party
- [S01E17] The Tangerine Factor - Penny's breakup with Mike/Leonard's help/also talking to Sheldon
- [S02E03] The Barbarian Sublimation - Penny plays Age of Conan
- [S02E09] The White Asparagus Triangulation - Sheldon questions Penny
- [S02E11] The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis - Leonard is angry about David Underhill
- [S02E12] The Killer Robot Instability - Leonard begs Penny to talk to and forgive Howard
- [S02E14] The Financial Permeability - Penny's financial crisis/power shut off
- [S02E15] The Maternal Capacitance - Penny and Leonard try to avoid Leonard's mother
- [S02E18] The Work Song Nanucluster - Penny starts a business making Penny Blossoms
- [S02E20] The Hofstadter Isotope - Sheldon & Stuart argue over Batman's replacement
- [S02E21] The Vegas Renormalization - Sheldon locks himself out of his apartment
Items Found in the ApartmentEdit
Penny's apartment has been described as an explosion of an IKEA catalog. MANY of the items found in her apartment are from IKEA; however, many of them have been altered with new upholstery, paint, coverings, etc., so be prepared to find the basic item at your local Ikea or online, and then be prepared to "fix" it accordingly.
Penny's Living Room:
- Orange director's chair, by Telescope Casual , by front door
- Narrow flat purple picture frames by The Rusty Roof
- Wisdom of the Birds painting by artist Dan Gottsegen - to the viewer's left of the front door
- Skruvsta swivel chair from Ikea, recovered in retro green and white fabric
- Klippan Loveseat from Ikea, recovered in teal fabric
- art print"The Victorian Bird" by Papaya Art
- the green couch cushions are called Hanna Slinga, from Ikea (discontinued - check eBay)
- Ikea watering can , usually seen on the window ledge
- 365 Lunta lamp from Ikea (painted orange), over the desk
- Nordmyra chair at the desk (painted purple), from Ikea (discontinued - check eBay)
- Bjursta extendable table , from Ikea, in the dining room area
- "Painter's Palette" multi-colored Soren chair from Anthroplogie (discontinued - check eBay)
- Birch Lack Coffee Table by Ikea
- salad plates on the wall are from Anthropologie's "Verdant Acres" collection (discontinued - check eBay)
- Lime green plastic PackerWare tumblers, seen in the episode "The Grasshopper Experiment". They appear to be discontinued.
- Bed linen set: Kumala Rose from Anthropoligie (appears discontinued)
- Sheets, solid light blue, among others: from Bed, Bath & Beyond
- Bed: custom design by Shea
- Rugs: Urban Outfitters
- Curtains: Pier One
- Bed table: Ikea
- Lamps: Lamps Plus
- the one on the nightstand is called "Purple Bijoux" table lamp
- Penny has added a lighter colored lamp shade
- Multi-Colored paper lanterns : Creative Converting
- Sconces: Brown & Gold Lighting
- Artwork: Katie Hinton print
- Sterilite Ultra Rectangle Laundry Basket, white