Italian is the official language of Italy. Latin was used under the old Roman Empire based in Italy.
Appearances in The Big Bang Theory
- In "The Toast Derivation" (S4E17), Sheldon tries to order pizza with Italian through phone, only to find the man at pizza house cannot understand him at all.
- -Sheldon: (to the phone) Buona sera, Luigi's Pizza. (Pause) Buona sera. (Pause) It means "good evening" in Italian. May I say, having to explain that to you calls into question the authenticity of your ristorante?
- -Leonard: Okay, I'm out of here.
- -Sheldon: (to the phone) Un momento. Oh, for heaven's sake, Now you're being deliberately stupid.
- Here "ristorante'" is the Italian word for "restaurant", and "Un momento" is for "one moment".