|First episode|| |
The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary (mentioned)
Meemaw is Sheldon's nickname for his maternal grandmother, whose real name is unknown. "Meemaw" is Mary Cooper's mother, and Sheldon's favorite of all his family members as he shows her no resentment at all, unlike his resentment toward his other family members. She was widowed in late 1985 when her husband, Sheldon's Pop-pop, passed away.
Through Sheldon's descriptions, Meemaw has made cookies for him and had him polish her silver. In turn for calling her Meemaw, Meemaw's nickname for Sheldon is "Moonpie", and according to Sheldon, no one can call him by that name except Meemaw.
His Meemaw is effectively Sheldon's weakness in several episodes. He generally refuses to consider any ill will or imperfection she has, including the thought that Meemaw needed to have sex in order to conceive his mother. Wil Wheaton also uses Sheldon's adoration for Meemaw against him, stating that his own grandmother passed away, which caused him to miss a convention of which Sheldon had attended to meet Wil Wheaton in his childhood. This story forces Sheldon to back down in a Mystic Warlords of Ka'a card tournament, relinquishing thechampionship title to Wheaton in the episode "The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary". This story was a ruse in order for Wheaton to win against Sheldon, of whom he couldn't beat through gameplay.
- Son-in-law: George Cooper Sr.
- Daughter: Mary Cooper
- Grandson: Sheldon Cooper
- Grandson: George Cooper Jr.
- Granddaughter: Missy Cooper
- Husband: Pop-pop
- Son: Uncle Edward
- Sheldon mentioned in "The Hawking Excitation" that his grandmother grew up in Oklahoma.
- Once killed a prairie dog with a gravy boat.
- Became a widow in 1985.
- "Meemaw", like "mamaw", "mimah" and various other Southern US expressions for grandmother or mother, ultimately derives from Arcadian (Cajun) Louisiana French, in which the French maman ('mother') is pronounced more or less as "m'maw".