|First episode|| |
The Terminator Decoupling (mentioned)
|Portrayed by|| |
- (mentioned only)
"Meemaw" is Sheldon's nickname for his maternal grandmother, whose real name is unknown. She is Mary Cooper's mother, and Sheldon's favorite of all his living family members as he shows her no resentment at all, unlike his resentment toward his other family members. She was widowed in 1985 when her husband, Sheldon's grandfather "Pop-pop", passed away. She has only been mentioned and has not appeared in the series.
Meemaw is first mentioned in "The Terminator Decoupling" where Sheldon asks Penny by the phone to email him a paper in a flash-drive that he forgot to take with him during a trip. Penny locates a wrong box which holds the letters from Sheldon's grandmother. Penny calls Sheldon "Moonpie" as she has read from a letter. Sheldon is agitated and tells Penny, "No one calls [him] Moonpie but Meemaw." He also explains that Meemaw calls him Moonpie because "[he's] nummy nummy and she could just eat [him] up".
His Meemaw is effectively Sheldon's weakness in several episodes. He generally refuses to consider any ill will or imperfection she has, including the thought that Meemaw needed to have sex in order to conceive his mother. Wil Wheaton also uses Sheldon's adoration for Meemaw against him, stating that his own grandmother passed away, which caused him to miss a convention of which Sheldon had attended to meet Wil Wheaton in his childhood. This story forces Sheldon to back down in a Mystic Warlords of Ka'a card tournament, relinquishing the championship title to Wheaton in the episode "The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary". This story was only a ruse in order for Wheaton to win against Sheldon, of whom he couldn't beat through gameplay.
By Sheldon's descriptions, Meemaw has made cookies for him and had him polish her silver.
- Husband: Pop-pop
- Daughter: Mary Cooper
- Sons: Carl and Edward
- Son-in-law: George Cooper Sr.
- Grandsons: George Cooper Jr. and Sheldon Cooper
- Granddaughter: Missy Cooper
- Sheldon mentioned in "The Hawking Excitation" that his grandmother grew up in Oklahoma.
- Once killed a prairie dog with a gravy boat.
- "Meemaw", like "mamaw", "mimah" and various other Southern US expressions for grandmother or mother, ultimately derives from Acadian (Cajun) Louisiana French, in which the French maman ('mother') is pronounced more or less as "m'maw".
- S02E17: The Terminator Decoupling
- S02E23: The Monopolar Expedition
- S03E05: The Creepy Candy Coating Corollary
- S03E17: The Precious Fragmentation
- S03E19: The Wheaton Recurrence
- S03E20: The Spaghetti Catalyst
- S04E05: The Desperation Emanation
- S04E21: The Agreement Dissection
- S05E21: The Hawking Excitation
- S06E11: The Santa Simulation