In S02E21 "The Vegas Renormalization", Penny had to sing "Soft Kitty" to Sheldon again on the pretense that "...Homesick is a type of being sick", since he had to spend the night in Penny's apartment because he locked himself out of his and Leonard's.
When Sheldon was feeling sad about being betrayed by his friends (and not being able to attend Comic Con) in S03E01 "The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation", Penny starts singing "Soft Kitty" in an attempt to cheer him up, but was interrupted by Sheldon as he said, "That's for when I'm sick!! Sad is not sick."
In S03E08 "The Adhesive Duck Deficiency", when Penny was a little lightheaded from the powerful pain medication and a muscle relaxer that the hospital gave her after she dislocated her shoulder from slipping in the bathtub, Penny asked Sheldon to sing "Soft Kitty" to her. After much prompting, the two sing it as a round.
At the end of S04E02 "The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification", Penny sings Soft Kitty to Sheldon, or more accurately, Sheldon's Mobile Virtual Presence Device (Sheldon in robot form) after Sheldon falls down the stairs. Sheldon plays "Soft Kitty" on his recorder (woodwind musical instrument) as a round while Penny sings "Soft Kitty".
In S05E06 "The Rhinitis Revelation", Sheldon's mom, Mary, sings "Soft Kitty" to Sheldon after he gets sick from being in the rain after he felt that his mother was ignoring him over spending time with his friends.
OriginsEditThis song's tune originates from XIX century Warsaw (Poland) and it was used in a lullaby titled "Wlazł kotek na płotek", written by Oskar Kolberg] and composed by Stanisław Moniuszko. However the Lyrics for this lullaby were about a kitten on a fence.
The modern song which we know now was written by Edith Newlin and were published in 1937 by Willis Music Co. These lyrics differ slightly to the one used in the show, with the show changing the sequence.
Little ball of fur.
Purr, purr, pur-r-r.
- In November 2010, The Big Bang Theory held a contest where contestants uploaded their version of Soft Kitty, and other users could vote for their favorite.
- While referred to on the show as "Soft Kitty" the actual song is called "Warm Kitty". Lyrics were written by Edith Newlin, the tune is traditional. There is also a version by Patsy Biscoe.
- When sung to Sheldon, "Soft Kitty" has never been shown to finish without being interrupted and Sheldon demanding for it to be sung "from the top".
- Wil Wheaton sang "Soft Kitty" for his wife Anne when she was home sick with bronchitis and sinusitis.
- In "The Fish Guts Displacement", when Sheldon rubs the Vicks on Amy's chest, it sounds like he is humming Soft Kitty as the scene ends.
- In "The Werewolf Transformation", Penny mentions to Sheldon that she sings "Soft Kitty" to him when he's sick.