Third column Edit
I want to create a third column in the main page, but I lack the skill neccessary for that. I don't want to continue to add thing, and thus requires the user to drag down and down and down some more. When I include a third column, I can finally move the random quotes, poll, picture nerdvana and maybe feauted images to the side or a combination of the four. But I just don't know how... I want it to be place right below the Penny image if possible. Zeypher 12:10, May 30, 2010 (UTC)
- The Penny image on the Main Page floats with the right margin, while the main content is in the center; if the screen gets too narrow, they overlap (with Penny going behind the main content). So, putting content under that image would likely mean that that content would get shunted under the main content, unless the front page were redesigned. I'm not sure how the Wikia custom skins work, but I'm a web developer if you need someone to take a look at the template and make it three-columned. Right now the Main Page is the narrowest of the wiki pages (I'm surfing at 1680x1050), so there's room to expand it a bit. --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 14:12, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, took a look at the page, and it looks like you're not changing the HTML at all (which is what I thought; Wikia doesn't allow that), only the CSS. So, since the HTML controls the structure, and CSS the style, adding a "third column" may be rather tricky. And when you say "third column", I'm guessing you're counting the sidebar as the leftmost column (holding the navigation, and has a transparent background, allowing the blackboard to show through), and the main article content (purple/blue background) as the second column. The Main Page does have two columns within the content ("The Big Bang Theory Wiki" and "Where to start" content is separated into two columns). Are you wanting to just make one more column there, within the content of the article? That can be done fairly easily, but you're going to get really crowded content, since each column will have less space. Currently the Main Page is conforming itself to 972 pixels, which is good for 1024x768 browsers, but leaves a lot of wasted space for wider screens. I'd suggest getting rid of the width:972px; and left:50% values from the body.mainpage div.monaco_shrinkwrap#monaco_shrinkwrap_main, body.mainpage #background_strip div.monaco_shrinkwrap declaration, which will allow the center content to fill the screen. You could add a margin-right:130px; to that declaration to keep the center content from overlapping the Penny picture as well. Then, you could add a third column to the content of the Main Page article, and for wider browsers, it would use all the space, and for narrower ones, it would just get a bit compressed (and end up being taller, but hopefully that's the minority of visitors). If you want me to make the changes for you, I'd need to have Admin rights, to edit that CSS file. --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 19:02, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, the Main Page is now no longer width-constrained; it will be as wide as your browser can allow. Now, the key question is, do you want a "third column" inside the content of the page (like having another white columns next to "The Big Bang Theory Wiki" and "Where to Start" boxes), or something new, floating over the "blackboard" beneath Penny's feet? --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 20:08, June 1, 2010 (UTC)
- There you go; I created a new DIV at the bottom of the article wikitext that has the appropriate style to end up placed beneath Penny's feet. Though that Penny image isn't that wide, so you can't fit a lot of text there unless I make the main article width narrower for the Main Page, which is going to look really bad on smaller browsers. Right now, with the width of the ad that Wikia forces there to be on the Main Page, any browser narrower than 1266px starts to look a bit funny. --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 14:06, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
- I've tried to put the Picture Nerdvana there, but the box is too narrow for my liking. Is there any way you can the main middle one smaller, thus giving the third colum. I plan to put the random quote, featured image there, poll, picture nerdvana and forums ( in that order) to the side without distorting with it's narrowness too much. Also can you make not transparent. Or do you think it looks better like that? Zeypher 16:29, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
- Okay, it's 100px wider (now you need a browser 1366px wide or it starts crunching badly). I added the random quote block to it for reference. I'm guessing you'll never get the featured picture there without shrinking the thumbnail of the featured picture even more (the featured picture block currently spans the whole main column, while the random quote block was in a split column). --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 18:18, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
- Oh wait, what I was looking at as "featured image" is really the "featured article" for this month, but the banner's wrong. The featured image block down further is more narrow, and could be made to fit in the 220px column that's now floating over there. --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 18:21, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
Design Ideas? Edit
The point of a background is to not have it detract from the rest of the site; a noisy background is a quick way to get a Web Page That Sucks. The background color of the main content areas could shy away from the purple/blue it currently is, and get more towards a gray/white that matches the "chalk" on the "chalkboard" of the background, or could be a pale yellow that matches some other types of chalk that end up on classroom chalkboards. --MidnightLightning☇(talk) 14:14, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
- Once again you bring a good point. But I'm mostly thinking if there's a background idea that could eventually replace the chalkboard thing. I don't mind it right now, it's still relatively new (barely six month old).. just thinking ahead. Zeypher 16:31, June 2, 2010 (UTC)
- December 27, 2012. The wallpaper (since autumn 2012?) has been a Big Bang Theory cast shot with a bright yellow backbround. It's a great photo of the cast, but this is an absolutely terrible background for a website - the yellow and the photo make it extremely difficult to read any of the articles on the Big Bang Theory wiki. I'd recommend putting a background that doesn't make the text difficult to read.
- Umopapisdn (talk) 02:27, December 28, 2012 (UTC)
- Someone needs to listen to the original posting and make sure the TBBT wiki doesn't keep this awful yellow-background cast photo such that TBBT wiki earns the designation of Web Page That Sucks. Reading words that are on top of Sheldon and Penny's face makes for an incredibly difficult read. Over the text, the background photo has been reduced to 20% (guessing?) of its original visibility (compared to 100% on the edges) to allow the words to come through, but the photo still makes it frustratingly difficult to read the articles since the articles are the primary focus of the wiki. Either change the photo (it only got changed to this current horrible yellow-background photograph sometime in 2012, I don't remember what was the background was before, but at least it didn't interfere with reading the articles) or reduce the photo's visibility to 1%, so that we can read the articles without this annoying background distraction.
- 126.96.36.199 01:49, February 6, 2013 (UTC)
hey guys im new to this ok ut i luv big bang theory its funny
- Welcome! Everything you need to know is located here!
- Click here! Any additional assistance, an admin can help you out! :D Also, don't forget to sign your post, so we know who wrote the comments. Use four tildes like this (~~~~) Zeypher 16:18, May 22, 2011 (UTC)
Session 5? Edit
Hi, i like to now when the new session (5) of the big bang theory is coming?
- September is typcially the start of the new seasons of the BBT! Long wait i know... sigh! Zeypher 21:54, July 12, 2011 (UTC)
- According to my little source here Season 5 will premiere on the 22nd of September, before proceeding to the link i should warn you there is some spoilers...
- Δdȃm HФ 03:39, July 15, 2011 (UTC)
sheldon rox!! Edit
i love sheldon so much,
he is sooooooooooooo cool,
i want to be like him,
cause im a freak too!
- Thanks for being an awesome fan, but be sure to save these types of comments for your blogs or forums. This page is strictly for issues or improvement that can be made to the Main homepage. Also be sure to sign your post with four tides (~~~~) so we know we wrote the post. Thank you! Zeypher 08:36, August 3, 2011 (UTC)
Idea For New Page Edit
Do you have a page that lists all the extrenous TV Shows and movies mentioned in the series? I know Star Trek is mentioned often and Beetlejuice at least once.
"Maybe he's like Beetlejiuce; we said his name too many times."
I'm also the creator of the Our Gang Wikia if you want to check it out.
Thor2000 15:45, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
- I don't think we have a page that really list all the mentioned external shows there are. I'm sure you can make one, but its really not needed as many shows have some mentioned of other references whether its from other TV shows, movies, books, or real life. Zeypher 20:41, November 5, 2011 (UTC)
Sheldon's Arch Nemesis poll? Edit
Interesting that Penny wasn't on there as an option. Her and Sheldon seem to clash the most out of any of the other people who he interacts with. --Ketchup Revenge (talk) 05:50, February 1, 2013 (UTC)