|The Fuzzy Boots Corollary|
Season 1, Episode 3
October 8, 2007
Dan Fogelman &
David M. Stern
"The Big Bran Hypothesis"
"The Luminous Fish Effect"
| ← |
| → |
While playing World of Warcraft, the group attempts to retrieve the Sword of Azeroth. Sheldon betrays them and sells the sword on eBay which Howard buys. Then later in the episode, Leonard sees Penny kissing a guy in front of her apartment door. He is devastated thinking she has 'rejected' him. The guys convince him to ask someone out at work, but when he tries and is brutally turned down by a geeky girl scientist named Leslie Winkle (Sara Gilbert). Instead of the date, Leslie proposes that they go straight to kissing in which she finds Leonard's technique good, however she is not aroused. Leonard is now even more depressed. He deals with his depression by thinking about buying a cat and listening to Emo music. Sheldon (in an attempt to not have a cat) points out that he was not actually rejected, as he had not asked Penny out. Leonard agrees and promptly asks Penny out to dinner, but she mistakes it as an invitation to hang out with all the guys. Despite being aware of this, Leonard keeps the date and makes up excuses as to why the guys were absent.
On the date, Penny mentions the man Leonard saw was not her boyfriend, but that she has a habit of having a weekend long flings to get over relationships. Excited, Leonard begins to become more confident and entertains Penny with a physics demonstration, but after accidentally hurting himself, he takes Penny takes home. Penny asks him if that night was a date. Leonard does not get the courage to reveal his true feelings to Penny and tells her that if it was she would know that she had been "DAT-ED", even though she suspected what he was up to.
- "The show appears to be coming into its own really nicely. The dialogue is witty and crisp and the jokes fly at you fast. They make Leonard more likable and move the plot forward. A really enjoyable episode." - The TV Critic's Review
- IMDb user reviews
- Title Reference: One of the names that Leonard was considering for his cat (Sergeant Fuzzyboots).
- Chuck Lorre's vanity card.
- This episode was watched by 8.36 million people with a rating of 3.3 (adults 18-49).
- Episode transcript
- Leslie Winkle is introduced as a character.
- The Gates of Elzebub and Sword of Azeroth do not exist in the real World of Warcraft.
- As Sheldon mentioned that he has a night elf character, it means that they are part of the Alliance faction in World of Warcraft.
- The song Leonard is singing when he walks in the door is "Boston" by Augustana.
- Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics are discussed after Howard and Raj suggest that Sheldon may be a robot. Sheldon inquires as to whether he would be bound by these laws if he learned he was a robot, leading Howard and Raj test their applicability.
- Howard brings Sheldon in a dancing class. However, in a later episode, he says he does not enjoy dancing and never will. Then he reveals in the fourth season, that he can do formal dances like the Waltz. It is possible he has been able to (ballroom) dance the entire time, he simply doesn't enjoy it.
- Howard implies that he has slept with his dancing instructor even though she looks to be in her late 60s/early 70s.
- First time it's seen the key bowl is next to the door.
- It is learned that Sheldon would very well betray his friends for money.
- First episode in which Leonard sings.
- Leonard's first episode being kissed. He is later shown kissing Joyce Kim in the past in the episode "The Staircase Implementation".
- First time it's seen that Sheldon does not believe Leonard can "get a girl".
- Leonard gets a concussion in this episode.
- Sheldon believes that Leonard got Penny drunk even before her drinking problem has been revealed.
- We learn that Sheldon has asthma. This is the only reference to such, as Leonard and Howard are usually the ones noted for being asthmatic.
- One of the only episodes where Sheldon is on good terms with Leslie Winkle.
- Leonard's full name is Leonard Leakey Hofstadter.
- (Playing World of Warcraft, after opening gate.. Goblins attack. They are in trouble!)
- Raj: Oh!!! He's got me!
- Howard: Sheldon, he's got Raj! Use your sleep spell! Sheldon! Sheldon! ... (softer tone) Sheldon!
- Sheldon: I got the Sword of Azeroth!
- Leonard: Forget the sword, Sheldon! Help Raj.
- Sheldon:(slightly crazily) There is no more Sheldon! I AM THE SWORDMASTER!
- Howard: Leonard, look out!
- Leonard: Dammit, man we're dying here!
- Sheldon: Goodbye, peasants!
- (sound of in-game teleportation)
- Leonard: The bastard teleported.
- Raj: He's selling the Sword of Azeroth on eBay.
- Leonard: You betrayed us for money! WHO ARE YOU?!
- Sheldon: I'm a Rogue Night Elf, don't you people read character descriptions? Wait, wait, wait... somebody just clicked "Buy It Now".
- (Howard stands up in triumph)
- Howard: I AM THE SWORDMASTER!
- Leonard: I mean, I’m a perfectly nice guy. There’s no reason we couldn't go to the restaurant and have a lovely dinner. Maybe take a walk afterwards, talk about things we have in common, “you love pottery? I love pottery!” You know, there’s a pause, we both know what’s happening, I lean in, we kiss, it’s a little tentative at first but then I realize, she’s kissing me back, and she’s biting my lower lip, you know, she wants me, this thing is going the distance, we’re going to have sex! Oh God! Oh, my God!
- Sheldon: Is the sex starting now?
- Penny: Was this supposed to be a date?
- Leonard: This? No. No, of course not, this was just you and me hanging out with a bunch of guys who didn’t show up, because of work and a colonoscopy.
- Penny: Okay, I was just checking.
- Leonard: When I take a girl out on a date, and I do, she knows she’s been dated. Capital D. Bold face, underline, like Day-ted. I think I might have a little concussion, I’m going to go lay down for a while, good night.